24 Mar "How can I know Jesus?" she asked.
“Miss Annie, you mentioned at the conference how to know Jesus, but I am not sure how. How can I really get to know Jesus?”
When you get an email like this . . . an answer is in store. Being on Spring Break ~ I had the time to illustrate our journey with Christ using the image of a simple maple leaf.
Has someone ever said to you, “Have you ever met ____________?” And your response is, “No, I have heard a lot about her, but I have never MET her?”
The same is true about Jesus. We may have HEARD a lot about Him, but until we MEET Him personally, we will never have a relationship with Him.
But how do we do this?
I have to back up and tell you that I did not MEET Jesus until I was 17 years old. My best friend had just been killed in a boating accident. And as you can imagine, I began to ask LOTS of questions about my faith and where I was going when I died (since I realized I was not invincible anymore!).
While I had grown up in the church, I didn’t really KNOW who Jesus was. I was a good girl, made good grades, loved ballet, prayed every night, and had great friends . . . but something inside of me wanted to know more about Christianity.
So I marched into my Mom’s room and asked her, “Mom, what does it meant to be SAVED?” A little shocked, but prepared, my mom shared a little booklet with me that answered my questions. While I do not have that booklet anymore, I used the illustrations of the maple leaf to show you what I remember.
Here we go!
• God loves you SO much! He created you as an individual, and there is no one like you on the WHOLE earth. God says “You are His masterpiece, and He’s got plans for you that He prepared long ago for you to walk into (Ephesians 2:10)! That’s pretty cool.
He created YOU with special gifts and talents! Wow. I love being called God’s masterpiece, don’t you? You are one of a kind!
• God also tells us that while we are ALL very unique, we ALL have something in common. We are broken and separated from God (illustrated by this torn maple leaf). The tear is what separates us from God, and it’s called sin. Romans 3:23 says, “We have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” To put it plainly, God is holy, and we are not. No one is exempt.
• If we read Genesis 2 and 3, we will discover that Adam and Eve ONCE had a PERFECT relationship with God. They walked and talked with Him in the garden and everything was GOOD. God told them they could eat from ANY tree in the garden EXCEPT one ~ The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. What did they do? They ate. Why is it we tend to do the ONE thing we are told not to do? Adam and Eve’s disobedience broke this perfect relationship with God and separated them from His holiness. Their disobedient choice bought them a one-way ticket out of the garden where they could not return.
• From the time Adam and Eve disobeyed God, He set a plan in motion to one day send His Son Jesus, to give His PERFET life for our imperfect and broken nature. The Bible tells us that the payment for our sin is death (Romans 6:23). Jesus would die on the cross in place of our sin and restore the Holy relationship that Adam and Eve once shared with God. Romans 5:8 says, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” The cross heals our brokeness.
• Sin is BIG deal, but God’s LOVE is bigger! Remember the first question I asked you? Do you know about Jesus, or have you MET Him? In order to meet Him, you have to believe in Him. Romans 10:9-10 says “If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” Belief in Jesus Christ is the payment for our sin. When we confess with our lips and believe in our hearts that Jesus is the perfect payment for our sin, we are saved. We are saved from being separated from God. We are saved from DEATH. Romans 6:23 tells us that when we accept this amazing gift of God, we receive eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. We are forgiven of our sins because Jesus’ death on the cross paid for them IN FULL.
• But God’s love does not stop here! Once you believe and put your trust in Jesus Christ, you are made new. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”
And this life is not only forever (eternal) but for the HERE and now. Jesus said, “I have come to give you LIFE and LIFE abundantly” (John 10:10)! Jesus wants us to have the relationship with God that Adam and Eve had in the garden, a Holy relationship!
• When I was 17, I confessed with my lips and believed in my heart that Jesus lived, died, and rose again for Annie. He loves me that much. I no longer have to question where I am going when I die. My trust in Christ gives me 100% confidence that one day I will live forever in heaven with Him. For now, I am living this life in full abundance using my gifts and talents to serve and glorify Him.
Put your name is this verse:
“For God so loved _______________(your name) so much that He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who BELIEVES in Him will not perish but have ETERNAL LIFE.” John 3:16
Do you know Jesus? Are you 100% sure?
- To know Jesus is to meet Him.
- To meet Him is to believe in Him.
- To Believe in Him is to confess His name.
Confessing His name assures you eternal salvation, freedom from sin, and life abundantly.
You are a NEW creation. So fly into the abundant life of Christ.
Believing in Jesus is as simple as saying this prayer:
Lord Jesus, thank You for dying on the cross for my sin. I believe in You and confess that I am broken. I need your forgiveness. Thank you for paying in FULL for my brokenness. I know that You love me and have great plans for me to walk into. Thank YOU that I do not have to worry where I am going when I leave this earth. Believing in You gives me 100% confidence that You give me eternal salvation. I pray to live a full life today all for Your glory! You are my Savior, and I choose to live my life for you.
If you have believed in Jesus today ~ let someone know! Let me know, or your church. I would love to send you more information and resources to begin your new journey with Christ!
For other great resources on knowing Jesus, see Rick Warren’s new series called: Eternal Realities http://rickwarren.org/know-god